An exquisite hike to the stunning Tahquitz Peak towering at a breathtaking 8,846 feet above sea level with striking views of Palm Springs and neighboring Mount San Jacinto.
Organic Single Origin Colombian Coffee
Light, golden brown, and vibrant just like the stunning bruin it’s named after. The Grizzly Bear is our bright, single origin light roast from Colombia which offers a soothing aroma with a hint of citrus sweetness.
Tasting notes include tangerine, red currant, milk chocolate, green apple, and clover honey.
About this Coffee
- Traveling from Los Angeles, take the I-10 East towards Palm Springs. After passing through the city of Beaumont, you'll take 8th Street / CA-243 exit towards Idyllwild. Continue on CA-243 for the next 23 miles and once you reach Idyllwild, follow the signs towards Humber Park where the trailhead for Tahquitz Peak is located. Ample parking is available and the entrance to Devils Slide Trail will be uphill in the park's most southeastern corner near the restrooms.
- NOTE: You will need to obtain a hiking permit from the Idyllwild Ranger Station. Simply fill out the form and keep the additonal copy while you hike to Tahquitz Peak. Also, you need a Southern California "Adventure Pass" to park.
- NOTE: The route suggested below is taking Devils Slide Trail which is clearly marked with large signs the entire way up making directions to the peak fairly simple. Also, it's a popular hike so be sure to arrive early if you're planning to ascend the trail on the weekend in order to avoid the heavy crowds.
- Start you hike at the trailhead of Devils Slide Trail from Humber Park. For the next 2.5 miles, you'll work your way uphill while obtaining stunning views of the surrounding region including Idyllwild. Be aware that the trail in the beginning is covered with loose gravel so footing should be watched carefully in order to avoid sliding down.
- Once you reach Saddle Junction, follow the signs for Tahquitz Peak along the Pacific Crest Trail. Continue heading south and veer right at the minor junction 0.9 miles ahead.
- Approximately 0.4 miles further, South Ridge Trail will appear leading uphill towards the Tahquitz Peak Fire Lookout. At this point, incredible vistas of Coachella Valley and Palm Springs will appear along with views looking towards Idyllwild and Tahquitz Peak on the opposite side of the trail.
- As you work your way up these minor switchbacks towards the lookout tower, you may be able to spot a few rock climbers scaling the face of the surrounding peaks.
- After another 0.4 miles, follow the sign directing you towards the lookout tower a couple yards further up the trail.
- When you reach the top, enjoy a snack and take in the surrounding 360 degree view before returning back the same way you came towards Humber Park.
- Elevation at summit: 8,846 feet