A soaring hike that leads to the ruins of a fire lookout tower high above the Sierra Nevada Mountains, which reaches a staggering height of 8,258 feet above sea level and offers a panoramic view of Sequoia National Park and Yosemite National Park to the north.
Organic Premium Espresso Blend
Unique just like the embers that thrive in a blazing campfire. The Campfire Espresso delivers a complex, yet balanced aroma ideal for early morning coffee at home or in the mountains. It’s our most adaptable roast, which is able to be enjoyed as an espresso or through other brewing methods such as pour over.
Tasting notes include dark chocolate, cherry citrus, and citrus caramel.
About this Coffee
- Directions to Needles Lookout from Los Angeles are fairly simple along with having two routes available to take to the hike. The preferred route is taking the I-5 North towards Sacramento followed by merging right onto the CA-99 North towards Bakersfield / Fresno. From there, take CA-65 North towards Porterville and then stay to the right as you veer off towards CA-190 East. 190 East will turn into M-90 and as you pass Quaking Aspen Campground, the Forest Route 21S05 will be on the east side of the road with a sign directing you towards "Needles Lookout". There are no parking restrictions or permits needed when you park near the trailhead.
- NOTE: Depending on the time of year you go, the forest road may not be completely accessible by car so you'll potentially need to hike the forest road to the trailhead. Also, there are campground-style restrooms at the trailhead entrance if you're needing to use the restroom before the hike.
- NOTE: This hike is located in bear country so be sure to put any food you're planning to leave in the car in a zip-lock bags OR bring it along with you for the hike.
- Begin the hike from the trailhead following the signs for Needles Lookout as you ascend over a minor hill and then into a small ravine at the foot of the Needles.
- There's an intersection a little over two miles from the trailhead that can be easily missed if you're not paying attention. It's a short distance after the first view towards the top of the Needles where the lookout used to be before the fire.
- You'll eventually hit a few switchbacks before you're greeted by the staircase to the top of the lookout.
- Use extreme caution if you decide to go up the staircase to the top. If you're not sure about the height or depending on the weather, do not go to the top.
- Enjoy the expansive views and eat a snack before returning back the way you came.
- Elevation at summit: 8,258 feet